Monday, August 25, 2014

Procrastination

Every college student struggles with it. Don't deny it. Procrastination affects every student from time to time. For me, it was that horrid weekly paper for my Political Science class. It didn't have to be long, and the amount of time that it took to write was nothing compared to my History papers. But I hated them because my History professors drilled into my head to never put opinions into a paper, then my Political Science professor assigned papers where I had to state my opinion. So I'd procrastinate. Maybe I didn't procrastinate for very long; I normally had it done by the time I designated for it to be finished. But I procrastinated nonetheless.

I always thought of procrastination as a thing students do. College students notoriously procrastinate on their assignments. (And if you don't believe me, visit the library of any college campus at midnight on Sunday night and try to tell me again that people don't procrastinate.) I didn't party during college, but my best friend and I would stay up late at least once a week gossiping over people, classes, and men.

But I'm an adult now with bills to pay, a house to keep clean, and a schedule to keep track of. I've overcome that childish tendency to put off my duties!

Nope.

There's a large pile of dishes by the sink that hasn't been washed. Half the laundry has been folded, and assuming that I don't get distracted with something else, the rest will be folded before bedtime. Oh, and I should probably start dinner soon. The husband gets cranky if he isn't fed regularly.

In fact, writing this blog post about procrastination is actually me procrastinating. After three years of writing, editing, and re-writing, I've finally finished writing my novel. *Celebratory drinks all around.* And now I get to proofread all 84,000 words and make about 84,000 corrections. Perfectionists like me shouldn't write. I'll announce that I'm finally content with the end result sometime in the summer of 2017. So, now with the daunting task of proofreading thirty-eight chapters of Regency Era romance and intrigue lying before me, I'm procrastinating. I'm writing a blog post, playing games on my phone, and scrolling through my News Feed on Facebook.

The point that I'm making is that adults procrastinate too. Everyone, whether in a work, school, or home environment, has some task they dread. Right now, I'm dreading that file on my computer that keeps calling my name, and soon I think it's going to start screaming for attention. But I'm procrastinating by enjoying my moment of playing stupid games and writing pointless blog posts.

There are so many things that want my attention, and I know I can't ignore them forever. Especially the hungry husband... unlike the dishes and the laundry, he talks back.

They say that all good things must come to an end. Thus, my hour of procrastination has ended, and fortunately for you, reader, so has this pathetic blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment