Thursday, September 25, 2014

A Day in the Life of a Navy Wife

Contrary to popular belief, being a military spouse (even as a housewife) isn't all fun and games. Sure the pay and benefits are fantastic... but when the Navy decides to throw a wrench in all your plans, you start to ask yourself if it's really worth it. So here's a day in my life as the wife of a naval avaitor-in-training.

***

0700: Wake up. Roll over. Husband? Nope, not there. Oh right, now I remember. He had a 6:30 brief for a flight at... I can't remember the time. But he'll be home... sometime.

0715: Coffee.

0800: What am I doing today? Um. Proofreading (assuming I can concentrate), reading, sewing. I should probably do dishes. And clean things. The living room looks like a tornado hit a flight school, but I have to accept the fact that there are things I can't change in life. Like the fact that airplanes are the only topic of conversation in our house anymore.

0830: I should get breakfast. But I really like Facebook right now.

0900: What am I making for dinner? Well, that depends on what is going on tomorrow. Does my husband have a flight? I don't know, and I won't know until this evening. So... what should I bring down from the freezer? I better plan for him having a flight, even though it'll probably get canceled due to weather because Florida hates everyone. (You are probably asking, what is the correlation between flying and dinner? Well, certain foods cause air sickness, so if the husband has a flight, he eats very light dinners.)

1000: I believe I hear the husband's truck backing into the driveway.

1002: Mmmm. Flight suit.

1015: How was your flight? Oh, it was canceled due to weather. Shocking. Yeah, it does look nasty outside. Do you have a flight tomorrow? No, you aren't on the tentative schedule. Do you have duty tomorrow? No, not as far as you know. Well, that's helpful. Kinda. But I still won't change what I'm planning on cooking.

T-6 Texan, the training plane used at NASWF.

1100: Craaaap. Does he have clean undershirts and socks for tomorrow? When did I last do laundry? Oh, he doesn't have any more tan shirts clean to go with the tan flight suit, but he still has some black shirts. I guess he's wearing the green flight suit, then.

1200: Lunch.

1230: "Oh look, the clouds are going away! Someone can fly! Not me, but someone." (Yes, my husband just said that.)

1300: The guys are coming over for dinner. Advanced notice is for losers. Guess the steak is going back into the freezer. I have nothing else that will feed four people and keep in mind food restrictions. Oh, John thinks he only has a sim tomorrow? That helps SO much. I guess it's time to rearrange the menu or run to the commissary... But I don't feel like going out. I can rearrange the menu. Burgers it is.

1400: More coffee, this time with booze. It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

1500: If the guys are coming over, I need to make sure the house looks semi presentable. But... netflix.

1600: OK, now I actually have to do things. Like start dinner.

1700: Is the schedule out yet? No. Isn't it supposed to come out around this time? Yes.

1730: Look! Avaitors! Guess what the topic of conversation is going to be tonight. And guess how much of it I'm going to understand.

1800: Is the schedule out yet? No. Wasn't it supposed to be out an hour ago? Yes.

1900: How about now? Oh, the schedule is finally out! What do you have duty tomorrow? No. Do you have a flight tomorrow? Yes. So the tentative schedule lied? Yes. I'm glad I planned for a flight even though you didn't think you'd have one. What time is the flight? 1700? Great. Right over dinner. I guess I'm having leftovers tomorrow and you're eating when you get home. Oh but it'll probably be canceled because the weather forecast looks bad? There's nothing like having no clue what your work schedule is for the next day.

2000: Well, at least we can stay up later since the flight is way too freaking late. Never mind, we're old people. Lets go sit in bed for an hour and read because we're tired. Or fall asleep at 8:30...

***

Obviously not all of these things happen every day, otherwise I would have admitted myself to the insane asylum months ago. But every. single. day. I have to figure out what I'm cooking and try to guess what the flight schedule will be hours before it comes out. And when it does come out, it's normally several hours after it is supposed to come out. It is impossible to plan anything for the following day, because without a doubt if we want to do something, he'll be on the schedule for something. Of course, whether a flight actually happens is weather, instructor, and plane dependent, and all have a habit of being uncooperative. Some weeks are worse than others, but I'm still looking forward to the end of flight school, whenever that may be. And despite the negative sides of his flight training, I'm still thankful that my husband has a steady job that he enjoys.

Welcome to the Navy. Just remember: Semper Gumby. Always flexible.

The husband's squadron patch -- VT-2 Doerbirds.

No comments:

Post a Comment